What is AGS?
The American Gem Society (AGS) was an organization established by a group of jewelers in 1934. One of its founding members is Robert M. Shipley, who is also the founder of the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). When the AGS was established, its primary goal was to help protect the consumers from deceit and malicious advertising.
The AGS has an estimated membership of 3.400 jewelers, suppliers, retailers, affiliates, and individuals who are devoted to the education and protection of consumers. The Society offers training and certifies gemologists, jewelers, and jewelry appraisers. It is also associated with the American Gem Society Laboratories (AGSL) and the American Gem Society Advanced Instruments Division, both established in 1996 and 2004, respectively.
Since its inception, the AGS has achieved many notable achievements in the field of jewelry and gemology. Below are some of its accomplishments.
- Created the industry’s premier scientifically proven, objective, and reputable Cut Grade technique.
- Provided the industry’s first diamond grading review with Cut Grade for diamond shapes such as Princess, Emerald, Oval, and many more.
- Developed the ideal Cut Grade for diamonds with a Round Brilliant shape, often referred to as the Triple Zero Cut or the AGS Ideal.
The majority of AGS’ function is through the AGS Laboratories, which provide various laboratory services to its members in the jewelry industry. Services include:
- Grading services where diamonds are evaluated according to the 4Cs: Carat Weight, Color, Clarity, and Cut
- Laser engraving, using a microlaser beam. AGS can engrave text or logo on the stone.
We BUY AGS Certified (Graded) Diamonds
Do you have a AGS certified (graded) diamond that you’re not using anymore and want out of your hands? We’ll be happy to take them from you and even pay you for them! Here at Nevada Coin Mart, we are the #1 buyer of AGS certified (graded) diamonds, in Las Vegas and Henderson, even in the entire Nevada state!
We offer free in-store evaluation for your piece using a state-of-the-art Thermo Scientific Niton X-Ray Spectrometer in order to accurately analyze and measure precious metal contents in your piece. This will ensure that you get top-dollar for your items.
We are open 365 times in a year from 9am to 6pm, so come visit us at Nevada Coin Mart® 4065 S. Jones Blvd Las Vegas, NV 89103 or call us up at 702-998-4000.